Sunday, June 27, 2010

Life and lessons

I was just reading this article where it says you need to de-clutter your wardrobe every six months and religiously remove all the clothes you haven't touched in the last six months.

This rule applies to me now-a-days. Earlier things were very different. My clothes would spill out of my cupboard everytime I opened it and I would still be clueless about what to wear for work everyday. My clothes would keep piling as I keep things thinking I'll use it sometime in the future and that " sometime" didn't come for years!! So.. I had old clothes which I stacked thinking I'll wear them once I'm back to shape and then there were clothes which were out of fashion but I would think maybe the trend would turn around and I'd be able to wear them again. Then again I kept clothes for sentimental reasons too !!!So my wardrobe was ever expanding... with no space to add more clothes and yet it just kept growing!!

One day about a year back ,as I was driving to work and as i passed a bridge ,I saw these homeless people staying on the bridge, in make shift houses of plastic sheets used as roof over four bamboo poles. A lady was drying her meagre belonging which had probably drenched in rain water , when it poured the previous night. She hardly had more than two extra garments to dry ,other than what she was wearing in person.It was absolutely necessary for her to dry the spare clothes that very day so that she could have a change of clothes if it rained again. It dawned on me then that its better that someone utilize my unused clothes pilling in my cupboard than me waiting to use them. So the very next day I took out four of my old garments which were in a perfectly good condition but I refused to wear them any more as I had worn them very often and was now " bored" of them. I handed them over to the lady on the bridge while on way to work. That evening I saw the lady sitting outside her plastic sheet house wearing my clothes. There.. someone had used immediately what was lying in my cupboard for months..untouched !!! A warm feeling overtook me that day something that can only be experienced and not described in words.It felt good to be able to help someone in need. Why hadn't I thought of it earlier?

Since then I make it a point to de-clutter my wardrobe every six months and fill some needy person's life with something as basic as clothes.

The best part is that the law of nature works in perfect harmony. Everytime I donate old clothes somehow new ones always find space to occupy the vacancy in my cupboard either as a gift from someone or my own shopping. :-)) ( and my wardrobe has since become much more organized )

Maybe we need to apply this principle in our emotional lives too. Too many people carry old unwanted emotions with them as a burden. Unwanted and unnecessary Memories ... De-clutter your emotional cupboards friends..its only then that new , happier emotions will automatically find a way to reach your emotional wardrobes...even before you realise it !!! De-clutter your cupboards and your lives !!!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, this is a wonderful post, and very, very thought provoking. What goes around, comes around :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Thanks Tanveer :-)) I'm very very glad that you liked my post..

    ReplyDelete